Today’s video tutorial answers what could be the question I receive the most: What’s the best way to e-mail a press release to a journalist or reporter?
To learn how to do it, watch the step-by-step video below or read the loose transcript of my online instructions below the video. (To see the on-screen steps better, use the “full screen” icon in the lower right of the video box.)
How to send it with email
Today I’m going to answer a question I get asked all of the time: What’s the best way to e-mail a press release about your book to a journalist or a reporter?
I can tell you now what the worst way is – sending it as an attachment.
I know authors do it that way because I receive them in my e-mail.
Journalists – and others — usually won’t open attachments from people they don’t know. That means the press release doesn’t get read, and it could explain some of the disappointing results.
I’ll walk you through the process on my computer screen. It will only take a few minutes.
What you do want to do is copy and paste. You don’t want to attach anything – whether it’s a press release or photos.
- Start with a catchy subject line. Don’t use “press release from author” or “News release.” You can copy and paste the headline of your press release – that can work. I write something catchy and have it prepared in my Word file with the press release. I’ve used “New book shares pro’s press release secrets” because the press release we’re working with announces my book, which teaches authors how to write a book announcement press release.
- Then add a short introduction that personalizes the message and says something like, “I hope you can use this; let me know if you have questions.”
- Copy and paste your press release into the e-mail message form.
- Add your signature.
- Check everything over.
- Fill in the “To” line. If it’s just one person, just type in the e-mail address. If you’re sending it to several at once, you want to protect their privacy and e-mail addresses by not using the “To” space. When sending to more than one person, put all addresses in the BCC line (blind carbon copy) and send it to yourself.
- Hit the send button.
That’s it. In summary, you need:
- A great subject line
- Quick cover note
- The press release copied and pasted
- E-mail signature
- The “To” line and “BCC” line completed (when appropriate)
- Review before sending
Press release distribution services
When you want to send your press release to a large media list, you’re better off using a press release distribution service. My favorite is eReleases for a number of reasons that include control over your your media selection and customer service. (That’s an affiliate link.)
Because these services continually update their media contacts, they save you a great deal of time. Some even help you improve your press release — never a bad thing.
I hope this helps. Good luck promoting your book!
Did you like this post?
If you did, you might be interested in my e-book that teaches you how to write your essential book announcement press release. Get Your Book in the News: How to Write a Book Announcement Press Release is available as a colorful PDF download with content presented in a way that makes it easy to understand and follow, and in Kindle format.
Please share this link with any authors you think would find the information helpful. Also, feel free to ask questions here by leaving a comment.
Get more helpful free book marketing information in the “Build Book Buzz” e-mail newsletter.
If you liked this, you’ll also like…
Sandra Beckwith is an award-winning former publicist who now teaches authors how to market their books. Her website, BuildBookBuzz.com, has been recognized as an outstanding resource for authors seven times, so you know her advice is author-tested.
- ^ my book (buildbookbuzz.com)
- ^ My favorite is eReleases (www.jdoqocy.com)
- ^ send me an email (buildbookbuzz.com)
- ^ Get Your Book in the News: How to Write a Book Announcement Press Release (buildbookbuzz.com)
- ^ in Kindle format (amzn.to)
- ^ BuildBookBuzz.com, (buildbookbuzz.com)
- ^ Top 5 Free Book Promotion Resources (buildbookbuzz.com)
Source URL: Read More
The public content above was dynamically discovered – by graded relevancy to this site’s keyword domain name. Such discovery was by systematic attempts to filter for “Creative Commons“ re-use licensing and/or by Press Release distributions. “Source URL” states the content’s owner and/or publisher. When possible, this site references the content above to generate its value-add, the dynamic sentimental analysis below, which allows us to research global sentiments across a multitude of topics related to this site’s specific keyword domain name. Additionally, when possible, this site references the content above to provide on-demand (multilingual) translations and/or to power its “Read Article to Me” feature, which reads the content aloud to visitors. Where applicable, this site also auto-generates a “References” section, which appends the content above by listing all mentioned links. Views expressed in the content above are solely those of the author(s). We do not endorse, offer to sell, promote, recommend, or, otherwise, make any statement about the content above. We reference the content above for your “reading” entertainment purposes only. Review “DMCA & Terms”, at the bottom of this site, for terms of your access and use as well as for applicable DMCA take-down request.
Acquire this Domain
You can acquire this site’s domain name! We have nurtured its online marketing value by systematically curating this site by the domain’s relevant keywords. Explore our content network – you can advertise on each or rent vs. buy the domain. Buy@TLDtraders.com | Skype: TLDtraders | +1 (475) BUY-NAME (289 – 6263). Thousands search by this site’s exact keyword domain name! Most are sent here because search engines often love the keyword. This domain can be your 24/7 lead generator! If you own it, you could capture a large amount of online traffic for your niche. Stop wasting money on ads. Instead, buy this domain to gain a long-term marketing asset. If you can’t afford to buy then you can rent the domain.
We are Internet Investors, Developers, and Franchisers – operating a content network of several thousand sites while federating 100+ eCommerce and SaaS startups. With our proprietary “inverted incubation” model, we leverage a portfolio of $100M in valued domains to impact online trends, traffic, and transactions. We use robotic process automation, machine learning, and other proprietary approaches to power our content network. Contact us to learn how we can help you with your online marketing and/or site maintenance.